Thursday, May 7, 2009

Pork BBQ and Black Eyed Pea Salad

Ok people. My promise to you is that I will share whatever I cook, even if it doesn't come out great, even if it is a disaster...so here we go...

A couple of nights ago I made pork BBQ in the crockpot (before I knew my sweet husband had planned a date night for us, so we didn't actually get to eat it that night).

I just threw in a pork half loin (about 3 pounds)





I poked holes in it (I don't recommend this, the pork was a little dry and this is probably why, I just remembered that I read somewhere that this lets all the juices run out instead of letting them in...nice...please learn form my mistakes, that is what I'm here for, I and my poor family will take it in the gut for you...)




and poured a coke over it...I heard about this somewhere, so it's what I did...and all I had on hand was the leftover coke from my husband's micky d's lunch... I know...






and then cooked it on high for about 4-5 hours or until you can easily pull it apart.



While that was cooking I made the Black Eyed Pea salad (as well as took care of my 2 babes, cleaned the house and picked up my little sis from school)


It's really a good thing that my hubby planned that date, because I don't always plan my meals very well, and when I found this recipe for a Black Eyed pea salad, I didn't realize it had to sit in the fridge for 8 hours!! I just knew I had a bag of frozen Black Eyed peas I wanted to use... so it worked out...

I did not follow the recipe verbatim...I rarely do, it's one of my problems, I hate making numerous trips to the grocery store, so I try to use whatever I have on hand...sometime it works sometimes it doesn't...

I used frozen balckeyed peas that had a few green beans mixed in instead of the canned blackeyed peas...(this may also have been a mistake as the salad turned out a little wet, I probably should have drained them completely first)





I also used canned diced tomatoes instead of the fresh one it called for, (because I didn't have one) but I rinsed and drained them first.





And I used 2 green peppers instead of one green and one red...




everything else was the same...I did have fresh parsley thanks to the 2 plants growing on my front porch!! Yippee!





And I made the dressing exactly as described. ( But I forgot to take pictures...I know I suck...) Here it is ready for the dressing that really did exist even though I can't prove it...






So the salad is made and in the fridge for next dadgum 8 hours...





So when the pork is done I pull it out (and notice it's dry, but I'm getting ready for my date and can't do anything about it now...) and start shredding it using to forks, until it is pretty well broken up, and then put it in the fridge too...

The next day I have it for lunch, and yep I was right, definitely dry. Oh, and I didn't make my own BBQ sauce, I have yet to perfect one of my own and I'm sure that will be a whole slew of posts all on it's on...so just use whatever your fav is. (and if you have one you love, please send me the recipe!)

And I got ready to taste my yummy salad, but also noticed it seemed wetter than it should be, and when I tasted it, it had very little flavor, I could barely taste the vinegar, that's why I think there was to much water in the peas and it diluted it and the oil, because nothing seemed to be coated very well either.







It wasn't bad per say, just bland and we really aren't bland people over here and who would have thought a salad with peppers and onions would be bland???? So disappointed I was...

Oh well..It looked really pretty and I will try it again to see if I can get it right...I'll let you know what happens...



Amen...

No comments:

Post a Comment