Friday, May 29, 2009

Roasted Red Chili Pepper Hummus!

I got a bug in my butt the other day for hummus, and nothing would stop me until I had made my own...

So I went to the store to get the ingredients...pretty simple except for one...Tahini...basically sesame seed butter...I looked and looked at my regular store and could not find it, and as always i did not have a lot of time so I just gave up and went home disappointed. A few days later I went to a different, slightly more upscale grocery store and found it no problem...and wouldn't you know it, when I went back to my regular store I ran right into it! Well at least I know where to find it the next time I need it...anyway...

I had some chili peppers left over from the salsa I had made so I wanted to use those, and I wanted to Roast some garlic, sense I had never done that before either... So I roasted both, and they turned out great! And so I was ready for my hummus.

Cast of Characters:

2 cans of Chick Peas
4 chili peppers, seeded and roasted
1 whole garlic roasted (chop off the top, drizzle in Olive Oil, wrap in foil and bake until soft)
2 cloves fresh garlic

3/4 cup Tahini
1 tbspn Cumin
Juice of 1 lemon
small handful of chopped fresh parsley
Salt to taste
5 tbls water



You need a blender or food processor for this, I personally recommend a food processor and truthfully if you're going to do any amount of cooking you're going to need one anyway...end lecture...

Before we get started I need to tell you, that most of these photos are crap...I didn
't realize until it was to late that my 2 y/o, sweet precious thing that she is, had been playing with my camera and had left fingerprint smudges all over the lens...so please please can you forgive me???


Drain the chick peas and dump them in.




Then throw in the roasted chili peppers and garlic...I forgot to take a picture of this...I was having an off day ok...

Next comes the lemon

I usually just squeeze the lemon right into the dish holding it pulp side in my palm, this id supposed to keep the seeds out, but I found at least 2 while eating my hummus... try at your own risk...




Then I added the cumin...but really you can do this part in any order you feel like. Feel free to get crazy with it and add the cumin first if you really want to!






Throw in the parsley...this is what it should be looking like about now...




Now for the Tahini...when you open the jar, can, whatever you will see a bunch of oil sitting on top,and the buttery stuff has settled to the bottom, and by buttery I meant sticky and hard. You HAVE to stir it and get it consistent before you can add it...this will take a while...and you will get a cramp in your hand...just a warning...


Once it's blended, add it to the blender...



Start blending!! See I told you the pics were bad...



At this point I tasted it and decided it needed more garlic...so I grated in a couple of fresh cloves, but it is completely up to you...and if you don't have one of these, I highly recommend getting one...seriously...it will save your life...seriously...



The last thing you do is add the Olive Oil, and only blend long enough to incorporate it, just a few pulses should do it...
and please don't hate me forever about these pictures...






And vwaaalaaaa...

It was soooooooo good, I forgot about the flat bread and just ate it by the spoo
nful!







Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment